Site Meter

Thursday, March 09, 2006

Dos Dissed

in this brilliant post on infinite meta, Sifu Tweety writes "we’re still using the old paradigm of meaning and they’re busily deploying the equivalent of malware and DOS attacks." I was puzzled by "DOS attacks" thinking "what as opposed to windows and mac attacks." Then, suddenly feeling very old, I realised that nowadays DOS stands for "denial of service" not disk operating system," although the level of use friendliness of DOS does make the referrent ambiguous.

Now, I'd like to point out two things. First when I clicked on programs then accessories on the Windows98 style start menu I use with my Windows XP system, the only item that appeared in the mini menu was c:\ (the DOS prompt for you youngsters) as that was the accessory I used most recently. This reminds me of how much I hate Windows mini menus that make you click twice to see the icon you want to click.

Now how about that meta.

Try to top blogging about the acronym of an metaphor in a blogpost about infinite meta.

No comments: