Site Meter

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Most absurd use of "Most"

Two of the bees in my bonnet are the www.WashingtonPost.com Headline writer(s) and the abuse of the word "most." In a bit of a shift*, I complain about the Www.nytimes.com headline

"Most Americans Oppose Health Law, Poll Finds"


I clicked the link and read "In the latest poll, 47 percent said they oppose the law while 36 percent approve, with the rest having no opinion. "

OK lets go slow. 47<50 therefore 47%<50% therefore 47% is not most.

I don't like the word most because it ambiguously means "more than half" and "approximately all." It is a 4 letter automatic equivocation.

I add that the article has changed since the first time I read it (the New York times has always updated within the day -- the newspaper of record becomes the record at midnight). In the older draft (trust me) the 47% = most was in the first paragraph.

Interestingly the new first paragraph notes that two thirds of respondents want the Supreme Court to declare parts of the law (mostly the mandate I guess) unconstitutional. This shows how much the US pubic hates judicial activism. Think of how few must have the view that laws which they don't like shouldn't be overturned by unelected courts.






*The reason is I am on a computer I rarely use, so www.nytimes.com doesn't consider me to have read my 20 free articles.

No comments: